.

Snow & Ice Day

Last week, we woke up to a day of no school and a thick layer of ice coating trees, power lines, cars and rooftops. After checking that the sump pump runoff pipe was unstuck, we crunched around for a while and examined the effects. No damage, and it was warm enough that most of the ice was dropping off the trees as we watched.

Iced Trees


I used the tractor to plow the driveway while Trevor shoveled the walkway and front porch. It was the kind of slush that turns into a solid sheet of ice once the temperature drops, so we had to get it up quickly. During the last "wintry mix," I left the slush and we had two inches of ice beneath our snowfall for weeks. Walking to the end of the driveway to meet the school bus was an Olympic sport.

Iced Trees


It rained for a while, and then the mercury started to fall. Boots and snowshoes don't help much on ice. I think we'll need some snow & ice cleats for next year. That said, I still try to get the mail every day in my worn-out, tractionless Crocs and I slide halfway there. Trevor's nod to the upcoming spring was his attempt to play with water balloons outside. To Vermonters, 34-degrees is apparently outside water play weather.

Water Balloons


I am particularly glad that even on a long snow day Trevor didn't turn on (or ask to turn on) the television. On the flip side, he did tie one cat to each end of a long ribbon from my craft stash and giggled as they pulled each other around the house. I don't think the cats were quite as amused. Where's that remote again?
.

0 comments:

Post a Comment