.

Toque Blanche

The Treasured Cheese ChefTrevor's Easter present was a white chef's toque embroidered in red script with the name of his restaurant, The Treasured Cheese. He was thrilled and surprised. He wore it to make a menu of sauteed baby carrots, garlic chicken and chocolate-dipped oranges. He looks just a teensy bit pleased, don't you think?

All in all, the hat was a reasonably-priced gift that didn't conflict with my sense of holiday propriety. I saw a newscaster last week interviewing teens saying things like, "If I don't get electronics in my Easter basket, I'll be pretty pissed." The reporter went on to say that items like iPods and DVD players are now the norm for Easter gifts -- which I think is misleading... if not just plain wrong.

I can't believe that most parents give expensive electronics in baskets. I can imagine that a few do. And for every teen who is going to huff and pout over the lack of iPhone in her basket, there are nine more who are tickled by a homemade chocolate lollipop and a book.

The media telling us that expensive electronics are the norm is what will eventually make it acceptable. And while I don't generally concern myself with what other families do, I think it heads down a dangerous road to encourage kids to expect a gift worth a week's wages in an Easter basket.
.

0 comments:

Post a Comment