.

Vanilla Buttercream & Whole Foods

Vanilla Buttercream CupcakeThis lovely vanilla buttercream cupcake came from Whole Foods on P Street. The buttercream was lighter than the one I made a few weeks ago, but the cake was drier. When cupcakes are too dry, I tear off the bottom half and throw it away. Because really, why bother eating bad cake?

One of the things I look forward to on my trips to DC are my dinners from Whole Foods. Me and all of the other yuppies line up alongside the prepared food counters and give each other self-satisfied looks.

The blog Stuff White People Like offers this advice:

"They also provide prepared foods, that single white people often purchase to avoid cooking. This is important information, as this section of the store is loaded with single white people."


I will vouch for this, having witnessed many a budding romance begin next to the hearts of palm salad. He goes to pick up a recycled paper tray and finds that a stack of ten come away at once. His other hand is full of silken tofu and greek yogurt. He smiles sheepishly. She puts down her basket and unsticks one tray for him. She picks a folding container which separates neatly. He makes what he thinks is a witty remark about her picking the "non-sticky" ones. She smiles at his pseudo-witty remark. They notice they've each grabbed a similar wedge of iceberg lettuce with blue cheese and bacon. And there it begins...

I like to stare at the Devonshire Cream and wish there was a way to get it back to Vermont. Eventually, they ask me to leave.
.

0 comments:

Post a Comment